- Narrated by: Jonathan Yen
- Length: 17 hrs and 56 mins
- Release date: 11-14-23
Shogun By A.L. Sadler AudioBook summary
Uncover the true story of the man who unified medieval Japan.
For 700 years, Japan was ruled by military commanders who waged war against one another incessantly. Shogun tells the fascinating story of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the man who finally unified and brought lasting peace to the nation. He established a new central government which enabled his descendants to rule Japan for the next 260 years—a period in which Japanese culture as we know it today flourished.
The dramatic episodes retold in this book include:
– Ieyasu’s crushing victory at the Battle of Sekigahara, the largest battle ever fought in Japan
– His creation of a new form of government with a centralized system of control that allowed his descendants to rule Japan peacefully for the next fifteen generations
– Ieyasu’s fateful decision to limit the spread of Christianity in Japan, ultimately banning the religion and massacring tens of thousands of ardent believers
This new edition highlights the drama and pageantry of Ieyasu’s life and features a new foreword by leading Japanese military historian Alexander Bennett.