- Narrated by: Kit Yates
- Length: 11 hrs and 41 mins
- Release date: 07-06-23
How to Expect the Unexpected By Kit Yates AudioBook summary
A fascinating exploration of how we can make better, accessible, mathematically-informed predictions about the world around us.
- Are you more likely to become a professional footballer if your surname is Ball?
- Is winning the National Lottery not once, but twice really as unlikely as it sounds?
- Why did so many Pompeiians stay put while Mount Vesuvius was erupting?
- How do you prevent a nuclear war?
Ever since the dawn of human civilisation, we have been trying to make predictions about what’s in store for us. We do this on a personal level, so that we can get on with our lives efficiently (should I hang my laundry out to dry, or will it rain?). But we also have to predict on a much larger scale, often for the good of our broader society (how can we spot economic downturns or prevent terrorist attacks?).