- Narrated by: Hillary Huber, Imani Jade Powers, Donna Allen, Carolina Hoyos, Nancy Bober, Jonathan Todd Ross, Hayden Bishop, Henriette Zoutomou, Nikki Massoud, Emily Lawrence, Annie Q
- Length: 20 hrs and 55 mins
- Release date: 09-19-23
50 Years of Ms. By Katherine Spillar AudioBook summary
A celebration of Ms.—the most startling, most audacious, most norm-breaking of the magazine’s groundbreaking pieces on women, men, politics (sexual and otherwise), marriage, family, education, work, motherhood, and reproductive rights, as well as the best of the magazine’s fiction, poetry, and letters. • Featuring Billie Jean King, Alison Bechdel, and Audre Lorde, among many others.
“I’ve been a Ms. reader since its earliest days. The magazine’s bold, boundary-breaking reporting has motivated me, infuriated me, and inspired me. And now this one extraordinary book—50 Years of Ms.—captures it all.” —Jane Fonda, actor and activist
“Ms.—in 1972—normalized being a woman, abortion and all. And here we are, 50 years later, needing that now more than ever.” —Sarah Silverman, comedian, actor, and writer
For the past five decades Ms. has been the nation’s most influential source of feminist ideas, and it remains at the forefront of feminism today, affecting thought and culture with a younger-than-ever readership (ages 16-20!).
Ms. was the first U.S. magazine to:
- feature prominent American women demanding the repeal of laws that criminalized abortion
- explain and advocate for the Equal Rights Amendment
- rate presidential candidates on women’s issues
- feature domestic violence and sexual harassment on its cover, long before either was widely understood or acknowledged
- commission and publish a national study on date rape
Here is the best reporting, fiction, and advertising, decade by decade, as well as the best photographs and features that reveal and reflect the changes set in motion by Ms., along with the iconic covers that galvanized readers.